My friends often call me the fearless girl, because I often take risks. Which is scary. It’s uncertain and unpredictable. You’re heading off into uncharted territory. You may lose your life savings or lose face. You risk criticism and humiliation, or having to pick up the pieces and start all over again. You’re giving up what you know for what might be. The rewards can be great, but so can the cost.
There come times in everyone’s life when you’re faced with a choice that involves risk. Perhaps you want to change careers, move to a different place, quit your job and start a business, begin a new relationship, have a child.
So, I wonder ,why would anybody want to take a risk? Here is what I know about it:
– Risk gives you an opportunity to open up to your talents, interests, abilities and dreams.
– Opens you up to new ideas, skills, opportunities and experiences.
– Allows you to feel powerful, making things happen rather than waiting for them to happen to you.
– Teaches you to set clear goals and follow through.
– You grow and discover new things about yourself and the world, to develop your strengths and talents.
– Risk allows you to conquer your fears.
– Is exhilarating. It makes you come alive.
If we don’t step up to the challenge we may find ourselves living a life that bores us, that has no dynamics or color. There’s no magic formula for managing risk, but with careful preparation you can minimize risk and maximize the odds that you’ll succeed.
First, always analyze the situation that you are in. Do your research!
Imagine the worst case scenario and have a Plan B.
Consider the timing.
Life doesn’t come with guarantees. Whether you succeed or fail, taking a risk will stretch you and give you faith in your strength and abilities and the confidence to do even more. There are no failures in life. Only lessons.
Life is short. Don’t just wander. Go for it!